What have we been up to this week?
This week we have been so productive! I can hardly believe that we have gotten as much done as we have.
The first half of the week was spent going through paperwork, sorting out bits and pieces and making phone calls to fun automated services that play that horrible music to supposedly keep you calm whilst you wait. I think it has the opposite effect to be honest. It’s more likely that they use these soundtracks as a deterrent, encouraging people to get off of the phone and try to sort out their problem online instead. All very questionable.
George’s Cardiology Check Up
I didn’t mention much about the fact we had this coming up. Call me an ostrich as I bury myself head first into the sand, but I was keeping busy so that this wouldn’t worry me as much as it could have. We’ve only just had PB’s cardiology check up, so to have one for Baby George within a week or so of that one was full on in the stress stakes.
No one wants to face the possibility that something may be wrong with their child. But we had to because of all the issues he had when he was born, plus the last check up we had gone to when he was a few weeks old had shown some trouble with his aorta and thickening in the wall of his heart. PB knows much more about the ins and outs of the things they were searching for. I just heard ‘possible heart defect’ when George was in special care after being born and my ears shut down a little after that.
So we went to the children’s hospital for his check up and luckily, all is fine! Yay! We still have to go back in six months to continue to prove good progress and that all is well, but the Doctor was very happy with all that he could see. And, thanks to George being a very good boy and keeping still during his ultrasound, he could see quite a bit so we are really thrilled with how it has all turned out.
Though, just looking at how he is as a baby, tearing around on all fours, eating everything in sight and wrapping us all around his tiny finger… we should have reassured ourselves more that there’s nothing wrong with his heart.
So, to celebrate, the next day we all went out to a huge soft play and had lunch together, joined by my best friend and her little boy, baby Harry. It was their first experience at soft play, and I think they were a little bit overwhelmed by the sheer expanse of the place and all the noise. And activity. And… smells. You know what soft play is like! Hell on Earth sort of thing. Ha!
I managed to almost concuss Teddy with my rucksack though. He has this habit of standing behind me, and because he is little and fairly quiet, I don’t realise he is there. A lot of the time I tread on him by accident, or almost trip over him as I turn round. Well, as we were getting ready to leave the soft play, he decided to stand right behind me eating his crisps whilst I was putting on my rucksack. I swung the bag to put it up on my shoulder and BASH! Teddy went flying, as did the crisps and around 20 fellow mums sat open mouthed as I rushed to set him back on his feet again with his snack. I was lucky for two reasons:
One: He found the funny side after a cuddle and now giggles every time I say BASH.
Two: Thank goodness PB and my BF were with me to laugh it off with as if I had been alone I would have wanted the ground to swallow me up.
Additional Information and Findings from this Week:
- As productive as we have been, my to do list doesn’t even look as though we have made a dent in it. Slight panic and cold sweat creeping in on the downward slope towards Christmas. May bury head back in the sand again…
- George is growing out of all of his clothes and I cannot keep up! I’m not sure if it’s because he is eating more solids than breastmilk now, or if he is just having a growth spurt in general. Or perhaps the tumble dryer is shrinking things without me knowing? I don’t know but am starting to wonder how long until I have to budget for more clothes!
- Teddy isn’t much slower at the whole growing thing either. His trousers are just at that point of where it isn’t acceptable to pass them off as the right length anymore and ankle swingers come to mind when I look at them. We have his developmental review coming up this week so am preparing the paperwork for that. Always feels like an exam or something doesn’t it?
- The Twirlywoos are forever in favour in our house and the past week or so, Teddy has really been playing with them in a more interactive and role playing sort of way. He sits them on cars, they get lined up on the sofa together to watch themselves on the telly and they have also been present at meal times. We are thinking of getting him the big red boat that they can sit in for Christmas!
- Halloween is in my head and I am holding out on buying pumpkins but shall have to take the plunge and do it next week I think. I have a carving set that I recently bought in Poundland and am excited to show the boys how it looks with a candle inside!
- Most exciting thing to happen this week (aside from George’s all clear of course!) is that, after a lot of deliberation and planning, PB got a tattoo! His first ever one! He was so brave and the design is amazing. It is still healing and he hasn’t published a pic of it himself yet, but once he does I shall update and show it on here. It’s made me start thinking about if I shall ever get one… I have always wondered about it but never found a design I could commit to having on my skin forever. Never say never though right?