Weekly Update #9: Emotionally Draining

What have we been up to this week?


There has been so much going on over the last week, some nice things and some stressful, draining things.


The weather has probably been a good depiction of the mood within our family this week. Sunshine with a crisp edge describes my mood this week. I have been pretty chirpy for the most of it, but my temper has frayed at times. Mostly because Teddy the Toddler has been delightful one moment and then horrendous the next. Independence is starting to rear it’s head more and more, which results in quite a few melt downs on a pretty much daily basis. His mood has been like the wind and rain this week.


Kids are draining!


Living with a tot is temperamental. The smallest things can cause you to feel uneasy. If Teddy gets completely immersed in a task, then it is best to leave him to it. Interrupting for any reason, even if it is to move things along and get out of the door (or occasionally into the door) then woe betide you. It. Is. Hard. And draining. Trying to explain to a toddler that they need to stop playing with the harness on the buggy so that you can wheel it into the house is draining. Trying to convince them that you are moving them and their game off of the centre of a park’s path in order to stop them being run over by bikes, is draining. Warning them that they can’t tuck into their dinner whilst it is still piping hot is draining.





Tie that in with Baby George treating my breasts like a 24hrs supermarket and you have me feeling even more drained…. literally. He is fighting his naps every afternoon, following me about the house whinging to be picked up. He has been teething a lot, meaning there has been a lot of dribble and the occasional bite where he has confused my nips with his teething ring. The cheeky thing even giggles when I scream out with the pain! It’s certainly making me wonder if I will continue to breastfeed much longer. Being chomped on is not pleasant, the mind reels at what it must feel like when he actually grows in some bloody teeth!


Park life and Work life.


I took them both to the park a couple of times this week and let them soak up some fresh air. And it was fresh. Really fresh. Autumnal fresh actually. You know that type of air that feels summery but when you breathe it in really deep, there is a chill that makes your nose and the back of your throat cold. It’s the smell of Autumn. And I love it! It was the first day we all had to put on a coat and actually keep it on whilst we were outside. The sun was shining brilliantly but it was still nippy. Just right for playing at the park and taking a bit of a walk.



I do feel for George though. He is desperate to get out of his buggy and explore the park, but due to him only being able to crawl at the moment, his options are rather limited. I help him down the slide and I set him down in the sand pit but his frustrations get the best of him a lot. I keep telling him to be patient, he will be on his feet and walking in no time. There’s no harm in taking things slow, it just seems that the youngest child never does!


I had a couple of work based meetings as well, getting things set in place for my return to work, which is happening soon. I’m excited to get back to projects that I had to put on hold when I found out I was expecting George and find it quite surreal that the end of my maternity is so fast approaching. I swear my maternity with Teddy felt longer. Then again, things have been so hectic, busy and full of change this year. It’s hardly surprising it feels so different.


Hospital Visit


We had an appointment to visit PB’s heart consultant at St Thomas’s Hospital in the centre of London this week too. It has been 6 years since he had major surgery to improve his quality of life and we have a yearly check up to ensure all is well. He received positive feedback, all is still well. He has to have some scans and tests over the next few months, but mostly as a human form of an MOT type thing, not because they think anything is significantly wrong. We were really happy to hear that everything has been checked out ok.


It was draining taking the boys with us though. Driving through London was a mission and a half with all of the traffic to stop and start through. Parking up and unloading the buggy from the car, and then loading the boys into it with all their snacks and drinks took almost as long. And keeping them both occupied in a busy waiting room for just under two hours was probably the most stressful part of the day. Especially because, before we went in to be seen, we were both distracted by that background worry that things won’t be ok. When I am in that sort of mood, I like to sit quietly and think myself into being calm. No such chance of that luxury when a 7 month old needs to feed from you and treat you like a chew toy, and your toddler wants to run around and play with the various equipment you can find holed up in corners of a hospital waiting room.


We didn’t get home until 9pm that evening. The kids slept a lot in the car so they were buzzing when we arrived back at the house. So, by the time I had wound them both down and got them bathed, it was gone 10pm. The past few days I have definitely paid for such a disruption to the routine, with extra cranky pants moments from all and a bit of a weepy outburst now and then from myself.


I never thought I would say it but, thank f**k it is Monday tomorrow! Will be glad to see the back of this week.


Additional Information and Findings from this Week:


  • PB and I managed to have our first date night since just before George was born! Six whole months have gone by, and we have only just managed to go out as a couple! We have been over people’s houses for dinner and socialised with groups of friends. But this was just us. No one else. And it was lovely. We went out for dinner to a great thai restaurant called Danny’s in Hove and then we sat up on the Sussex Downs looking at the stars (I know, so corny!) and catching up. We needed to chat and listen to one another. And just be in each other’s company. No interruptions, no eyes in the backs of our heads and a proper conversation that didn’t consist of the terms ‘Could you just pass me..’ and ‘Where did you put the…’ It was just so nice. I want to do it more often if we can manage to find the time… and money!



  • We have been putting the heating on pretty much every evening. I try and get by with just a hoodie or a cardigan but it’s not enough to just wear layers anymore. We whack on the log burner if we have the energy too and it is just so nice and cosy. I really do love this time of year.
  • Our washing machine has decided to break down this weekend. Am waiting until tomorrow to call someone out to come and fix it, and appear quite calm on the surface. But underneath I am completely bricking it. The washing is already rising up into a mountainous form and I know it is just a matter of time before we are all wearing wet wiped tops and jeans, or worse, walking about completely naked and starting our very own naturist commune. Shudder.
  • Baby George has just stood up in his cot for the very first time unaided! I can’t believe how fast he is storming ahead with his milestones. Please George, slow down. Peter Pan was really onto something.






Me, Being Mummy


  1. October 9, 2017 / 7:34 am

    Sounds like a tough week! Glad you got a date night. Hopefully once you get your laundry situation sorted you’ll have a better week xx #HoneybeeLinky

    • mebeingmummy
      October 31, 2017 / 2:09 pm

      Hooray for date night! Laundry situation back to fighting glory! xxx

  2. October 9, 2017 / 7:45 am

    Sounds like a hectic time! Amazing that u managed a date night! Its definitely something that i think everyone should make an effort to do! Good luck for your return to work #HoneybeeLinky

    • mebeingmummy
      October 31, 2017 / 2:07 pm

      Thank you lovely! I was determined to get out for a date night! We had waited too bloody long for it haha! xxx

  3. October 9, 2017 / 6:15 pm

    It feels like even the smallest of tasks are a mission when there are children involved doesn’t it? I’m glad all is well with your little one after the check up, that must have been a relief. #honeybeelinky

    • mebeingmummy
      October 31, 2017 / 1:59 pm

      Thank you lovely, yes, a massive relief. xxx

  4. October 9, 2017 / 9:47 pm

    Yikes, I’m exhausted just reading that post. And also secretly glad it’s not just me who feels like that. Life as a parent is bloody draining Hope you manage to have a more chilled one this week, as much as you can with two little ones anyway.

    • mebeingmummy
      October 31, 2017 / 1:56 pm

      Lol! No, it isn’t just you my lovely. It really is a draining job sometimes. But then, thats why the rewards are so big and satisfying. xx

  5. October 11, 2017 / 6:03 pm

    Sounds like an eventful week! Glad to hear the hospital visit was positive, can only imagine how stressful that 2 hour wait must have been.
    Sympathy also for your poor nips! Biting babes aren’t fun. It will pass though. General advice is to try not to scream, pop them off and say no. It did seem to work for D. She used to giggle when she did it too! Cheeky mare!
    Much love and good vibes for a better week ahead xx #HoneybeeLinky

    • mebeingmummy
      October 31, 2017 / 1:55 pm

      OMG, it hurts so much when they bite! Am not sure if I can manage not to scream but shall definitely try. Haha! They are so cheeky when they do it aren’t they? xxx

    • mebeingmummy
      October 31, 2017 / 1:53 pm

      It’s nice and cosy when the heating is on! Thank you, heaven knows when we will manage a next one!lol! xxx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *