How is it already Sunday?! Just when time needs to go slowly it is speeding up. Am resisting the urge to panic because Christmas songs are being played on the radio and in shops, I know of several people who have put their decorations up and even more who have begun or even finished (How?!) their Christmas shopping and here I am, only just putting away the last of the Halloween bits and bobs.
I’m not writing this whilst cooking a roast dinner this week. I had planned to make one, the chicken is still waving at me from the fridge. But I took George upstairs for his nap early this afternoon and ended up falling asleep alongside him. For two and a half hours.
Cue waking up in a panic and PB having to reason with me that it’s not the end of the world and a roast can be cooked tomorrow instead. A roast on a Monday?! Why not? Let’s live dangerously!
Ultimately, I needed sleep much more than I needed to cook a chicken. It has been a busy week and I’m not surprised I fell into the nap trap.
I got a new job this week! I had a trial day at a hair salon where I spent the day working and showing the owner of the place that I am a good hairdresser who can work as a team and can indeed cut and colour hair. It was the first time I had been behind the chair in about a year, and the first time in around 8 years that I had worked alongside other stylists. I had a great day and officially start there this coming week. It’s strange to be classed as employed as I have been self employed for at least 7 years now. I’m writing a couple of posts going into it all a bit more as there is a little bit too much to go into for a weekly update. But the main piece of info is that this hairdresser is back behind a chair with her scissors and it feels fab! And knackering. Am so out of practice with being on my feet talking to people all day! Here’s hoping I dont keel over and can keep up!
So, it isn’t any wonder that I fell into napping beside George today. Add the fact I have been spending the best part of the week organising childcare so I can be free to work and having lots of broken nights with a teething baby George, I am literally grabbing rest time and breathing space as when possible. Teddy has also been reluctant to go to bed of an evening so there have been a couple of nights this week where I have literally settled them bith and fallen into bed soon after. I always struggle with this because I love evening time, the time where I can sit in peace and catch up on here but my heart hasn’t been in it this week because my head has just been full of other things.
Teething is just awful isn’t it?! George has just been beside himself for the best part of two weeks now. Crying, clingy and still sporting a red bum that seems to be perfectly fine in the morning but almost luminous by the time the evening comes around. I have never changed so many nappies in my life! I can just about feel a tiny bit of enamel at the front lower jaw but it is taking an age to come through completely. Poor little guy. As soon as it makes a proper appearance I may throw a celebration coming out party for it!
Teddy has been pushing boundaries this week. He is into EVERYTHING. Still terrorising our fish tank. Still helping himself to my make up bag and applying bits and pieces when I’m not there to stop him. He has begun watching Peppa Pig and it seems to put him into a trance like state whenever it comes on… possibly because he is taking mental notes on what he can recreate himself. One episode showed Peppa and her little brother George (oh the irony!) drinking fizzy orange and blowing bubbles through their drinking straws. As a result, every time we give him his drink in his cup with an inbuilt drinking straw, he stands an blows bubbles in it. Peppa pig…. I hate you.
Lack of sleep, a teething baby and a pig immitating toddler on top of a new job makes Mummy a sleepy cranky pants basically. I bet this is such a scintillating blog post to read, Nobel peace prize type stuff… PB actually said not to stretch myself to thin and post anything at all this week but I love writing my updates and know my future self will be grateful for the written record of life. She will also be cringing at how much of a moany bitch I am being… profuse apologies to future self and to all reading this. It’s the sleepy self talking!
Additional information and findings from this week:
- Our Mac mouse has broken. I was trying to use the computer with an irate George on my lap, and he managed to knock it offif the desk onto the hard wood floor. So I am typing this on my ipad and it is taking triple the amount of time it usually takes me because I can’t tap away on a real key board. We haven’t been able to do anything on the computer since it happened and we feel like our right arms are missing. Sad isn’t it? Answer: Yes…. on multiple levels.
- Parking in Brighton and Hove is a complete joke. In order to make it to my new job and not be fleeced for parking charges, I have to park 20 minutes from my place of work and walk in. On the upside I should start to feel the benefits and shift some of this bloody baby weight. On the downside, I have to be super organised and leave almost an hour before my shift starts. My SAHM self who moves at her own pace of a morning is going to find the whole thing a big adjustment.
- Christmas shopping and prep is due to start this week! I am writing lists, planning budgets and ready to get the christmas tree out of storage for a dust off and spider check before we put it up.
- I keep having last year’s posts come up on my social media, showing me with a bump and Teddy looking so little. It is just crazy to look back and see how fast the year has flown. Father Time needs to slow his shit down!
- I got new hair as a self esteem builder before the new job trial. I asked for a rounded fringe and to have about two and a half inches off the length to make it healthy. I ended up with a bloody square box fringe that a five year old would be ashamed of and she cut it up to just level with my shoulders. On a professinal level I was mad for not being listened to or having myhair cut competently. On a personal level I was stunned into silence and cried in the car on the way home. Where I then managed ti cut it a little myself to make it more presentable. It looks ok but honestly, what was I thinking?! Having a fringe is akin to having a pet that needs to be walked everyday. This thing needs styling every day otherwise I shall look like an electrified chipmunk! Dry shampoo shall be my essential more than ever now!